NFL Kickin’ it With Kevin
It’s been about two weeks since I last posted. Sorry for the delay.
I May Be Wrong But I Doubt It
1. Roger Goodell is baffling to me. I have always been a fan of his but it bothers me that if a quarterback is nudged it’s a 15 yard penalty and you hear one of the announcers talk about how important it is to protect the health of the players. Yet, off the field, players such as Marshawn Lynch commit crimes such as hit and runs and have no repercussions. To me this says, the NFL values the health of players more than that of its viewers.
2. Speaking of Goodell, I don’t understand how Pacman Jones is allowed to be in the NFL again or how he keeps giving players like Leonard Little the benefit of the doubt (Little killed someone from drinking and driving and then was busted again for drinking and driving soon after) but does not alot the players in the StarCaps scandal the same mercy. Now I understand that a diuretic can be used as a masking agent for steroids but I’m rather suspect when the banned substance is not on the label for StarCaps and the fact that StarCaps was previously not a banned substance in the NFL. Furthermore,the so called steroid hotline is continually down so the players were unable to check on the updated status of StarCaps. Additionally, it’s a rather hard to sell to me that the Williams’ were using this to mask steroids and not to lose weight and meet their weight roster bonuses. However, what most irritates me is the fact that Grady Jackson was not suspended because he stated that he was using StarCaps to help his heart. This would be akin to telling your boss that you were fooling around with a coworker in the kitchen because it helps your prostate. I thought the point behind a suspension is that one was using a banned substance, not WHAT it was being used for. Regardless of the use, it is still banned. Talk about a lack of even handed justice.
3. Phil Savage is a terrible GM and should be fired. First, Savage trades away the Brown’s first and third round picks for Brady Quinn because Derek Anderson and Charlie Frye are (in his eyes) not franchise quarterbacks. Soon after, Anderson performs well and is on the table for trade bait. However, instead of recognizing the value in trading Anderson for a first and third round draft picks and going with Quinn as the starter, Savage gives Anderson a rather large contract and deems him the starter with Quinn waiting in the wings. Anderson then has a poor season and now it looks like the Browns will have to cut him before his 5 million dollar roster bonus is due in March and end up getting nothing for him. This could have all been prevented if Savage had merely done his job from the beginning as a talent evaluator. He obviously sees Anderson play in practice, drills, and games but lacked the ability to see his flaws. A good GM would have been able to evaluate Anderson and understand why he performed well in a few games last year but not down the stretch and realized that his performances in weeks 16 and 17 were a more accurate reading of his abilities. To borrow from one of Mr. Savage’s emails, “Go [work for someone else], F#*@k you.”
4. Just pointing this out, but Mark Kiszla stole my Kickin’ it with Kevin article name on his site. http://www.denverpost.com/kickinit. Recently OWS was linked to broncotalk.net due to the fact that my younger brother writes for their site. Coincidently, soon after, a Denver Broncos beat writer for the Denver Post who reads BroncoTalk changes his column name to “Kickin’ it with Kiz.” Way to steal from another writer Kiszla. Maybe you should be a bit more original since you actually get paid to write for a living and I do it for fun as a part time gig. And just so there is no confusion, I have been using the column name Kickin’ it with Kevin for 5 years. The professional thing to do is at the very least thank me and credit me when you steal my material. Journalism 101.
The Road to Tampa
1. New York Giants- Is it just me or does this team perform all the better after losing star players? This year the Giants traded Jeremy Shockey, lost Osi Unemyora for the year, lost Plaxico Burress for the year, and Michael Strahan retired and they are better for it. Go figure.
2. Tennessee Titans- Was this the worst year for Thanksgiving football or what? I figured the Lions would keep it close but the thumping the Titans gave them was unbelievable. There was even a Vince Young sighting!
3. Pittsburgh Steelers- How is it that year after year this defense churns out pass rushers? James Harrison and Lamar Woodley are both in the top ten in sacks this year. Now if they could only churn out protection for Big Ben…
4. Indianapolis Colts- Don’t you get the feeling that the Colts are prepping for a monster run in the playoffs? This by far has been Manning’s most impressive year. Manning is coming off an injury and is dealing with a rag tag offensive line, a hurt Joseph Addai and is still finding ways to win. When the Colts are finally healthy they will be scary.
5. Carolina Panthers- Does Steve Smith have ups or what? Every time I watch him play I’m in disbelief that he is only 5’7-5’8.
6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Is it just me or is Barrett Ruud one of the most underrated middle linebackers in the NFL?
7. Baltimore Ravens- The year of the rookie quarterbacks.
8. Denver Broncos- How do you beat the Jets and Falcons in their own back yard and lose to the Raiders at home?
9. New York Jets- What happened to that stout Jets run stopping defense?
10. Atlanta Falcons- Matt Ryan is the real deal. I’ll admit I was not on the Matt Ryan bandwagon at the beginning of the season but he has continually proved me wrong. What an impressive season the Falcons are having.
11. New England Patriots- How big will Matt Cassell’s free agent contract be?
12. Dallas Cowboys- Is this team for real? I feel like they’re just pretending to be a threat.
“My Beer Drunk Soul Is Sadder Than All The Dead Christmas Trees Of The World”
1. How on earth can Plaxico Burress shoot himself with a Glock? Glocks have double click triggers meaning the trigger has to essentially be pulled twice before it is fired.
And I’m Out. Comments as always are welcome or feel free to email me at ObsessedwithKevin@gmail.com
Read Full Post »